The U.S. Mint began making American Silver Eagles starting in 1986. These bullion coins are made with .999 pure silver. During the same year, the U.S. Mint also began producing American Gold Eagles in 1/10 oz, 1/4 oz, 1/2 oz and 1 oz sizes.
The table below displays the mintage figures for American Silver Eagle coins. This includes bullion versions of the coin in the first column, proof versions in the second column, and the collectible uncirculated versions in the third column.
These figures represent the final audited mintages or last reported sales provided by the United States Mint. For numbers marked with an asterisk (*), refer to the mintage notes following the table.
The key date for the series use to be the 1995-W Proof Silver Eagle with a mintage of just 30,125 pieces. However, the newer 2019-S Enhanced Reverse Proof is now the lowest at just 30,000.
This 2011-P Reverse Proof and 2011-S Uncirculated Silver Eagles are also rare Silver Eagles, both had final mintages of 99,882. The highest mintage proof issue was the inaugural year of 1986, with 1,446,778 total pieces distributed.
The lowest mintage for a bullion coin is the 1996 Silver Eagle, at 3,603,386. The highest mintage bullion year is 2015, with sales reaching an astounding 47,000,000 coins and achieving the sixth annual sales record in seven years.
|2006-P Rev Proof||248,875*|
|2011-P Rev Proof||99,882*|
|2012-S Rev Proof||224,935*|
|2013-W Rev Proof||235,689*|
|2019-W Rev Proof||99,911*|
|2019-S Enh Rev Proof||30,000*|
U.S. Mint Silver Eagle Notes
- (1993) Proof mintage includes 12,689 coins sold in the Philadelphia Set.
- (1995-W) Proof coins with “W” mint mark issued only as part of the 10th Anniversary Gold Eagle Proof Set.
- (1997) Proof mintage includes 4,965 coins sold in the Impressions of Liberty Set.
- (2006-P Reverse Proof) Reverse Proof coin only issued in the 20th Anniversary Silver Eagle Set.
- (2007) Uncirculated mintage includes coins sold in the 2007 Annual Uncirculated Dollar Coin Set.
- (2008) Uncirculated mintage includes coins sold in the 2008 Annual Uncirculated Dollar Coin Set.
- (2009) Collectible uncirculated and proof coins were not issued this year.
- (2010) Collectible uncirculated not issued this year.
- (2011) Proof and uncirculated mintages includes 99,882 coins included in the 25th Anniversary Silver Eagle Set.
- (2011-S) Collectible uncirculated version with the “S” mint mark only issued in the 25th Anniversary Set.
- (2011-P Reverse Proof) Reverse proof coin only issued in the 25th Anniversary Set.
- (2012) Uncirculated mintage includes coins sold in the 2012 Annual Uncirculated Dollar Coin Set. Proof mintage includes coins in the 2012 Limited Edition Silver Proof Set.
- (2012-S) Proof mintage includes coins included in the 2012 San Francisco Silver Eagle Set and 2012 Making American History Coin and Currency Set.
- (2012-S) Reverse proof coin only issued in the 2012 San Francisco Silver Eagle Set.
- (2013) Proof mintage includes coins sold in 2013 Limited Edition Silver Proof Set and 2013 Congratulations Set. Uncirculated mintage includes coins sold in 2013 Annual Uncirculated Dollar Coin Set.
- (2013-W) Reverse proof and enhanced uncirculated coins issued only in 2013 West Point Silver Eagle Set.
- (2014) Proof mintage includes coins sold in 2014 Limited Edition Silver Proof Set and 2014 Congratulations Set. Uncirculated mintage includes coins sold in 2014 Annual Uncirculated Dollar Coin Set.
- (2015) Proof mintage includes coins sold in 2015 Congratulations Set. Uncirculated mintage includes coins sold in 2015 Annual Uncirculated Dollar Coin Set.
- (2017-S) Proof Coin was released in two special sets. One called the “Congratulations Set” (17RF) with an announced mintage of 75,000 units. The other “Limited Edition Proof Set” (17RC) with an announced mintage of 50,000 units. Sales records show 48,906 Limited Edition Proof Sets sold. Sales records do not indicate how many Congratulations Sets were sold that year.
- (2019-W Reverse Proof) The 2019-W Rev Proof was released as part of the “Pride of Two Nations” set (19XB)
- (2019-S Enhanced Reverse Proof) This proof coin became the lowest mintage of all American Silver Eagles at just 30,000.
- (2020) This will be the last year of the current reverse design for all Silver Eagles. In 2021, Silver Eagles will get a new reverse.